Free Lossless Audio Codec – FLAC. This audio file format remains the favorite of many who appreciate high-quality music. One may refer to it as the closest to studio-quality resolutions for the average listener. Thus, rather than convert to mp3, you may want to choose FLAC instead. Most audio purists have no problem choosing to convert YouTube to FLAC. However, people who know little about the format will need reasons to consider it. This article looks into the FLAC file format. And here, you will find all you should know about YouTube to FLAC conversion.
What is FLAC?
FLAC belongs to the family of compressed audio file formats, alongside mp3. Unlike mp3, however, it is a lossless format. This means that it does not remove any data from the audio source. It is essentially a storage-effective format for CD-quality audio. The format is also compatible with most devices, sound players, and hi-fi. And these are the reasons why audiophiles know to appreciate FLAC.
How to Convert YouTube to FLAC
If you know how to convert YouTube to any format, then you can do the same to FLAC. But if you do not, these are the general steps for conversion, regardless of the tool you use.
- Get the URL of the video, which you want to convert.
- Provide the link to the given space in the conversion tool.
- Choose the .flac format and select “Convert” or “Download.”
YouTube to FLAC Conversion Tools
Once you decide to convert MP3 MP4 to FLAC, you must then choose which conversion tool to use. Your options range from conversion sites to software. While some are free, others have paid features. Let us take a look at some software and sites that allow conversion of YouTube videos to FLAC.
Software for YouTube to FLAC Conversion
Many know this tool only for converting Spotify and Tidal music. However, AudFree Audio Capture works great for downloading YouTube music. It does this in several formats, including FLAC. AudFree, however, operates in Windows devices. The software costs $29.95, $39.95, $69.95 for the Single-User, Family, and Unlimited licenses respectively. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. To use, do the following:
- Purchase and launch the audio capture tool.
- Customize your settings, including the output format. FLAC should be your choice here.
- In the starting windows, select the program you want to download audio from. This will be YouTube, in this case. AudFree will automatically begin recording.
- Close the tracks to stop recording. Then, edit and save.
- Any Video Converter
Windows and Mac device users can convert YouTube to FLAC with this tool. The free converter supports dozens of file formats. Here is how to use AVC for YouTube conversions after downloading the tool:
- Open the tool and click on “Download+”. A pop-up box will appear.
- Paste the YouTube video link in the box.
- Select “Download”, choose FLAC as your download format, and the file would start downloading.
Sites that Support YouTube to FLAC Conversion
In the list of free online YouTube to FLAC converters, YouTube-FLAC is very useful. This tool lets you convert and download 4K, 1080p, and 720p YouTube videos. It is also fast and efficient. Here are the steps for using it:
- Open the YouTube-FLAC site.
- Enter the YouTube video URL in the provided box on the landing page.
- Since the default download format is FLAC, you do not have to change it. Simply click on the cloud/download icon next to the box to begin downloading.
- YouTube Converter Online
This is another easy and free tool for YouTube-FLAC conversions. It is one of your best options for speedy and quality downloads. Also, it is compatible with virtually all browsers. And it does not limit your downloads. These are the steps to take to use YouTube Converter Online:
- Go to the converter site.
- There is a box for the YouTube URL. You can either enter the URL here or search for a video.
- Choose FLAC as your desired download format.
- Give it a while to convert and then click Download.
Here is a simple and free download service that supports video conversions in four formats. The other formats besides FLAC are mp3, Ogg, and AAC. You could install the “Catchvideo helper” extension from their site. This will be helpful if you have problems with fetching YouTube videos. And it offers maximum support for video links. To use CatchVideo for your YouTube to FLAC conversion, follow these steps:
- Enter the catchvideo.net website.
- You may enter the link of the video you want to download. Else, you can search for keywords related to the kind of video you seek.
- Choose FLAC out of the format options that are below the search box.
- If you want, customize the audio settings – channels, bitrate, and sample rate. And if not, leave them set at auto.
- Click the ‘Convert!” button beside the search box.
Ontiva is a free online platform that supports conversion to common formats, including FLAC. The tool that is both a converter and downloader has fine features. Its converter speed is high and all conversions are anonymous. With Ontiva, you do not have to worry about malware or intrusive ads. Since there are no download limits, you can download as many files as you want. Also, it does not require any registration with an e-mail or anything else. It is compatible with all devices and works in any browser. There are plans by the Ontiva team to release a mobile app for Android and iOS Devices. The following guidelines will take you through using Ontiva for converting and downloading YouTube videos:
- Copy the URL of the chosen YouTube video.
- Open the Ontiva YouTube converter and paste the URL in the provided bar. You can also search for keywords if you do not have an exact link.
- Select FLAC as your output format.
- Click on the “Convert” button and wait a while for the conversion to take place.
- Click “Download” to complete the process. And then you can enjoy the newly converted FLAC file.
Note that several other YouTube conversion tools allow conversion to FLAC. You may already use an online or software conversion tool that works for you. If so and it offers FLAC conversions, you might as well stick with it.
Pros of Converting YouTube to FLAC
Converting YouTube videos to FLAC comes with all the pros of the FLAC format. Here are some of them:
- High-quality sound
With FLAC, you get all the CD-quality goodness of music. Since it employs a lossless technique of compression, it preserves audio quality. You get to hear sounds and instruments in detail. This is why it is great for bringing studio music to your car or home.
- Great archival properties
FLAC serves as an archival format. And for good reasons. While WAV lets you have a 100% of audio data, it is not space-friendly. On the other hand, FLAC has the same lossless features, only with less space. Even if you have to convert the file subsequently, the process would be better than that of mp3. So, if you want to store quality converted YouTube files long-term, use FLAC.
Cons of Converting YouTube to FLAC
These downsides may make you reconsider converting YouTube videos to FLAC.
This feature is a coin with two sides. Although as an advantage, FLAC saves space better than WAV, it still takes much space. Lossless files are large by nature. FLAC files are on the extreme of the group. They can be six to ten times larger than an mp3 file.
Enjoying FLAC files is not exactly as budget-friendly as sticking to mp3. You will need to purchase more storage space to complement that of your device. Also, you would have to get earbuds or headphones that would enhance your listening experience. While this latter aspect applies to all audio formats, it only increases FLAC’s costliness. So, FLAC is likely not for you if you only want a regular audio file.
Tips for Enjoying Your Converted FLAC Files
Now, you know enough to start converting to FLAC. To get the optimum feel, here are two essential tips:
- Do not get a FLAC file if your device does not support it.
If you have a relatively recent Android or iOS devices, then you will not have a problem here. Devices with as low as Android 3.1 or iOS 11 allow FLAC audio playback.
- Invest in high-quality hardware to play your files.
Good-quality hardware will reproduce those amazing sounds most accurately. You are not likely to need a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Conversion unit). Simply get authentic headphones that fit. And use the money that you intended for buying a DAC to get more digital storage.
The fact remains that not everyone needs FLAC. This is not to say that there are some who would not want high-quality music. It simply means that not everyone has to put aside FLAC’s cons only to enjoy great music quality. Mp3 is sufficient for many and WAV, for others. Yet, as seen in this article, FLAC is the next best thing to studio-quality sound. So if you have what it takes – space, especially – FLAC is a great option for you. And with the points in this guide, you can make the most of your YouTube to FLAC conversions.